i feel like latin america and the caribbeans anti-black racism has been softer in a sense, and so it makes it easier for us to claim our new world countries of origin vs black folks from the rotten fucking u.s. of a.
With where i come from in the Caribbean, the people in power are Black, there was never anybody there to tell me i’m not West Indian, “go back to Africa” and i don’t belong in the Caribbean so i never had any reason not to want to be proud of being from the Caribbean. I never felt alienated from my West Indian identity that would make me want to distance my self from it but Black Americans are constantly told they don’t belong there and the people in power don’t look like them. The people in power speak patios and even though “speaking properly” is an obsession among many west Indians, the way i spoke wasn’t degraded and people in power spoke patios even if it was a more “tamed” version.
I never had any reasons to feel alienated from my country so claiming it wouldn’t be an issue. The anti-Black racism is softer in a way in the Caribbean and Latin american countries
this. though our black poverty is that much deeper than it is in the u.s. the fact we get to live in places where we see faces like ours 24/7….thats a privilege. its something i fucking miss, fucked up roads, faulty electricity and lack of water be damned. :/
in lots of latin america black folks are severely marginalized, but still hasnt been on the level of amerikkkan style persecution.
its like black americans might have more money (sometimes) or representation (sometimes) but at the same time they have it worse in some respects.
why oppression olympics among blacks dont work. we’re all fucked. albeit in diff ways.
The bold is the truth
We’re poorer but we haven’t been persecuted amerikkkan style. We might have X but not Y and vice versa for Black Americans.
The bolded…. Us being a minority numerically and politically(power) has a lot to do with it too… In a country where we are the majority, Its still REAL REAL FUCKED TO HELL, but there is a kind of safety/security in numbers…
I can’t began to tell you how at home I felt in Brasil… Even though the plight of blacks in Brasil is horrible.. Just knowing that I could always see someone that looked just like me felt kind of comforting.. Especially in cities like Rio(yes rio is really black/brown despite the shit you see on TV) and just about all the big cities in the northeast especially Salvador..
- astoldbywesley gostou desta postagem
- kadalkavithaigal gostou desta postagem
- alexd86 gostou desta postagem
- exceedinglytrans reblogou esta postagem de genderbitch
- soulbeautyx reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana
- goldensutures gostou desta postagem
- genderbitch reblogou esta postagem de so-treu
- aka14kgold gostou desta postagem
- dreameaters gostou desta postagem
- baldbeast reblogou esta postagem de taysaffirmations
- neutralangel gostou desta postagem
- spartanbitch gostou desta postagem
- preciousdivineenergy gostou desta postagem
- stardustcrusade gostou desta postagem
- strugglingtobeheard reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana
- so-treu reblogou esta postagem de jcoleknowsbest
- so-treu gostou desta postagem
- jcoleknowsbest reblogou esta postagem de sugahwaatah e acrescentou:
- soudeaisthebest gostou desta postagem
- mzmew gostou desta postagem
- floridadamsel gostou desta postagem
- freshmouthgoddess gostou desta postagem
- sugahwaatah reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana e acrescentou:
- jonesydaking reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana e acrescentou:
- jonesydaking gostou desta postagem
- bad-dominicana reblogou esta postagem de jcoleknowsbest
- strugglingtobeheard gostou desta postagem
- tashabilities disse: Blk American here. Whiteness says that only wht folks are Americans, so even though we’ve fought in every war this country has started, they won’t let us be Americans. So many of us don’t bother claiming it.
- jopara gostou desta postagem
- youfelinedevil gostou desta postagem
- nefermaathotep reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana
- nefermaathotep gostou desta postagem
- jalaynee reblogou esta postagem de bad-dominicana
- 8hydrophilic gostou desta postagem
- fatwasandfanboys gostou desta postagem
- primalinnocence gostou desta postagem
- bad-dominicana publicou esta postagem